Monday, June 12, 2017

Some Other Beginning's End

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.
~Semisonic "Closing Time"

There's a little bit of pain in every transition, but we can't let that stop us from making it. If we did, we'd never make any progress at all.
~Phil Schiller

I've always been amazed by how the universe has a way of preparing us for transitions in life. Things seem to always get more painful right before a big life change (and right before it gets even better)...and this helps us welcome in the new. For example, the last month or so of pregnancy is the most uncomfortable for the majority of women (or so I'm told). This prolonged discomfort helps women face the fear of a painful childbirth. Teenage years can be a difficult time between parents and children--which helps soften the pain of children moving out of the house. Even many illnesses help prepare us for death (ourselves or loved ones).

The same is true in other instances of life, as well. I'm in that stage of the transition, and it's tough.

I have been talking about moving to an island for years. It's now less than a month away! So many people dream of dropping everything and moving to a tropical island. Just today I was told:

     "I admire you for doing it. It's something I always wanted to do but never had the courage."

I can't even tell you how many people claim they would love to do what I am doing. In fact, as I was typing this, someone stopped in my office to wish me luck and tell me that she envies me. I wonder how many people really want to live on an island? How many really would move to an island if given the opportunity? If you're thinking, "yeah, I'd love to be able to move to an island," I wonder if you really would.

Today is my last Monday at Oak Hills Local School District. It's such an odd feeling. The last 6 months have been odd.

Last week I was cleaning out my office and I found some framed photos of the team. I've been on the cabinet leadership team here for over 10 years. Of the people who were on that team when I started, I am the last remaining.
I have been a part of meetings about key decisions for a very long time.

For the last few months, the team has been planning for next year (a year I won't be here). I have not been invited to those planning meetings. I'm not complaining--it makes sense that I am not in those meetings--it's just weird.

It has been bittersweet as some people reach out to say goodbye (I was serenaded in one meeting--Boyz II Men, End of the Road), and the eLearning Team is planning a "Last Hurrah Happy Hour." Today, this email went out:
I'll miss my work best friend, Christian Long. But Google Chat is always at our fingertips and instantaneous! I'll also miss the Oak Hills team and the job that I've loved for the last 16 years!

Today I finished cleaning out my office. Here's the box I will carry out with me (just like in the movies!):
As I get closer to the date we drive away from Cincinnati, Ohio, I am feeling more pressure and more stress. Stress does not usually get to me, and it kind of bothers me that it is.

Many of my friends have said they want to get together before we leave...and I do too! It's a difficult thing to balance. There are very few days left to pack up every little thing we own and prepare for a long road trip, followed by a flight, to a new home over 2000 miles away. So many last things that need to be finished, accounts closed, insurance canceled, address changed, companies switched (banks, cell phone carriers, doctors, vets), etc. Can you tell that I'm beginning to feel the pressure? Of course, the invitation is open to come help me pack! ðŸ˜‰

A couple of my friends--Beth and Nancy--came to the rescue and took it upon themselves to plan a little going away party for us. Such a sweet gesture--it means so much to me. I'm lucky to have such wonderful friends! Can't wait to post more pics and stories after the party.
This is Nancy and Beth...our party planners!
And our Scuba Unlimited family is also planning a send-off. They canceled the First Friday event of July (the day we drive away), and replaced it with a Last Friday event (our last full Friday here, and the last Friday of June). Thanks to Becky, Josh and Craig for this! We feel loved. 💛 (more on this in a future post):
I have always believed that the journey is more important than the destination. I have to remind myself of this every day. While I am feeling some pain right now in this transition, it is worth it. I am realizing a dream that has been brewing for many years. That is progress, right?


St Croix, here we come! 

No comments:

Post a Comment