Monday, April 24, 2017

Feeling Close from 2000 Miles Away.

Life is about change. Sometimes it's painful. Sometimes it's beautiful. But most of the time it's both.
~Lana Lang

I have talked about moving to the Caribbean for several years now. I enjoy challenges and change and I believe in making life what you want it to be. I have courage. And yet...

Have you experienced those moments as you prepare for a big life change when you think, "Oh man...what am I doing? How can I know this is the right decision...the right thing for me? What if I'm wrong?" I think this is what they call cold feet.

It happened. And it lasted. For at least a month, I went through some real self-doubt. I admitted this to one person...and not until after it passed.

I am making some sacrifices for this life change:
  • Leaving a career position that I spent the last 17 years working toward. I will make 1/4 - 1/3 my current income when we get to the island. I'll be starting over. 
  • Saying goodbye to friends and family and putting almost 2000 miles between us. I have wonderful friends who feel more like family and I'm very close to my siblings.
  • I have spent my entire life living within 60 miles of where I grew up. I am moving to a different land mass, a different climate zone, a different culture with a different history. I am leaving the familiar.
During this time of questioning, I did everything I could to feel close to the island--to embrace the island girl I claim to be. 

So...how does one go about feeling close to an island that is so far away? It's easier than you think! I'll tell you how I do it, and you can figure out how it applies to you and your island.

Image result for isle 95 st croixImage result for tunein radio app logo
I downloaded a radio app, TuneIn radio, so that I could listen to radio stations live from St Croix. One of my favorites is Isle 95. I love this because I hear "local" commercials, DJs, etc.


I also followed and liked Facebook pages of businesses and people on St Croix. I especially looked for pages that go live. My favorite is Love-Croix. He travels around the island while going live and engages with viewers. If you look at the comments on the video below, mine is the first one and I am thanking him for "feeding the soul." This was right in the heart of my questioning phase, and seeing the island and the positivity of Love-Croix was just what I needed!
Each morning I check the listings of houses for sale on St Croix using the St Croix RE/MAX site. It is fun to look at the house styles (exterior and interior), read the directions to get there (lots of "turn left at the big blue fence," etc...most streets aren't named) and to see what's available. This particular site also has lots of information: maps, info about lenders, etc. We have a lot to learn about things like hurricane insurance, earthquake insurance, building requirements, etc.

Image result for caribbean life st croixSpeaking of real estate...Beachfront Bargain Hunt, Caribbean Life, Tiny House Big Living...I look for the episodes set on St Croix.

I also subscribe to newspapers and blogs of people in the area. I don't watch or read a lot of news as a general rule (I feel that's a key to my happiness), but it is nice to keep up with what is happening on my island.

I also think of myself as Crucian and support Crucian businesses (act "locally"...but from a distance). So my rum choice is always Cruzan or Captain Morgan. This isn't much of a sacrifice!

Another great way to escape to your chosen island is to read a book set on that island. There is so much you can learn this way. I have found several good books set on St Croix, and when I pick up one of those books, soon enough I am no longer sitting in my apartment in Cincinnati, Ohio. I am walking along Dorsch Beach searching for chaney and listening to the waves hit the shore. It is one of the most effective ways for me to escape to St Croix.

And of course, there's always YouTube. I've found music videos from St Croix bands like Mercy Child and their song: Life on St Croix. And Travel Channel's Real: St Croix. It's also interesting to watch some home-made videos about the island. There's one that shows the devastation of Hurricane Hugo in 1989. You can see Moko Jumbies dancing, scuba divers, street carnivals, and so much more!

It's an exciting adventure. I am courageous. But let's be clear...it's scary sometimes. Parts of it are painful. But mostly, it's beautiful. And when you find your heart has moved to the island before you have, there are so many ways to feel connected...to feel "there." 

No comments:

Post a Comment