Sunday, September 25, 2016

Going Back From Whence I Came...

And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came.
~John F. Kennedy

From an early age, my father taught me that anything is possible...if you want it badly enough. For this lesson, I am grateful to him. I have lived my life with this belief and with the mindset that the only limit to achieving goals is the strength of my desire.

So, when I took on the challenge of completely gutting and renovating a 1972 Kingscraft Houseboat, some people were surprised. In my mind, this is how you live. Find what makes you happy and make no excuses. My blog: aBoatReBorn, chronicles my experiences rebuilding the Empress Bennu.

Several years ago, while exploring the British Virgin Islands on a sailing trip, I was struck by the desire to return to the ocean (I've never actually lived near the ocean, but being made of the same salty water, it feels like returning). I actually wrote about this in my blog entry Adventure: Oceans & Itches.

Sailing the British Virgin Islands 
Sailing the British Virgin Islands...this is when I decided I need to live on an island

And now is the time to pursue that adventure.

Will I accomplish this? Will I "return" to the ocean? Yes, of course I will. Because I want it enough. I am heading back from whence I came.

I am an island girl. This blog will chronicle my adventures as I move to St. Croix, USVI from Cincinnati, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment